top of page

Travel Tips

Important Pre-Travel Planning Information

DOMESTIC TRAVEL: All travelers, age 16 and older, need a valid driver's license. Doublecheck tomake sure your license has not expired.


INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL: Check your visiting country's requirements (passport/visa)

Read over all travel documentation. Make sure all names are spelled correctly.

     •    Check TSA for luggage and carry-on requirements

     •    Check your airline's website for luggage requirements


Palm Trees

travel tips

     •    Check with your doctor to see if vaccinations are required for planned

international trips, and if s/he has any health concerns regarding travel.

     •    Bring activities and books, games, special toys and movies for children.

     •    Take care of International Driver’s License requirements if you wish to rent a vehicle.

     •    For tropical destinations: all-inclusive resorts often have dress codes for evening meals, so review requirements and pack appropriately. 

     •    Sunscreen and aloe is less costly in the US.

     •    Research voltage set-ups. If needed, bring an electrical adapter for cords.

     •    Phoning home: Purchase an International Calling Card. It will save money!

     •    Verify currency and credit card acceptance policies. Some vacationers use traveler’s checks. Tourist areas in Mexico and the Caribbean often accept (and sometimes prefer) US currency.

     •    Inform banks and credit card companies of travel plans. Contact them immediately if card is lost or stolen during your trip. Couples should carry duplicate cards.

     •    Exchange Rates: see the following website for currency conversion assistance.

     •    Exchange Calculator


PASSPORTS: All US citizens need a legal passport (sans Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands). Ensure existing passports are valid or apply for one at County Government Centers. They take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Child passports are valid 5 years, and adults for 10. Links for some Minnesota counties are below:

     •    Sherburne County

     •    Stearns County

     •    Wright County


Do not forget to check the expiration date on your passport before traveling. This is your responsibility. You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

     •    Is submitted with your application

     •    Is undamaged (other than normal wear and tear)

     •    Was issued when you were age 16 or older

     •    Was issued within the last 15 years

     •    Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of

          your marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order)


Visit  for your form and more information.


Carefully review all visa requirements for destination countries. Give a family member or friend copies of travel documents and passports before you leave. A passport must be valid at least 6 months from the departure date. For newly-married individuals: you must travel by the name on your ID and passport, so purchase tickets accordingly. You may be the new Mrs. Johnson, but are still Ms. Smith to customs and airline officials!

Legal guardian(s) and parent(s) not traveling with minor child(ren) must officially approve international travel. This consent must be in letter form, signed, and properly notarized. If their legal guardian or absent parent is deceased, adult(s) traveling with children must bring death documentation.

bottom of page